Friday, November 16, 2007

My New Year Challenge and Other Odds and Ends

Since it's been a while, I've got lots to share so I'm going to do this post in an outline form so it's a bit easier to follow.

New Year Challenge

Inspired by Ro, I've created a New Year Challenge for myself. I started on Tuesday and it will go until January 1, 2008 (approximately 6 weeks). My goals during this time are:
1) Stay within calorie budget (1800 weekdays and 2050 on Saturdays and Sundays).
2) Get in 2700 minutes of workout time.
3) Follow budget.
4) Appreciate what I have.

These are almost identical to the goals I set for myself in November but I ended up getting a massive head cold last week and could barely move from the couch to the bed. Plus, I have all of my business school applications in now so my stress level has decreased dramatically. I've also set a goal of losing 12 pounds by New Year's Day but I'm not concerned if I don't reach that goal, as long as I've followed the four main goals above.

My reward for following this challenge is going to be the entire series of "Gilmore Girls." I really love this show and have always wanted to own the seasons and now that the entire series is all together, it will be a bit more affordable and something I really want.

Gone for So Long

I know it's been a week! Ack! I had all intentions of posting earlier this week but I had a b-school application due yesterday so I spent most of the work week on that. And as I previously mentioned, I got a nasty head cold last Wednesday so I ended up getting a 5 day weekend and doing nothing much more than laying down a lot. I felt a lot better after three days and it's because I listened to my body and just stopped and relaxed a bit.

But I realized on Tuesday that I was tired of this extra weight and I was done with eating bad stuff and being lazy, I wanted to feel better. (Side note: I think I got so sick b/c I was eating crap all last week, not worrying about fruits or veggies or good stuff, just eating a lot of sugar and crap.) So I created this New Year Challenge for myself...basically focusing on eating well and exercising over the next 6 weeks. It's a long enough time period to see significant results but a short enough time period to be able to stick with it.

I went to the gym on Wednesday and Thursday and did 90 minutes of cardio both times! (60 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the bike.) I'm going again today even though it will be a cold walk to the gym.

Weekend Plans

Not too much going on this weekend. S and I are going to "Bonefish Grill" tonight for dinner. It opened up near my apartment a few months ago and he keeps promising to take me but since he doesn't like fish/seafood at all, he's been somewhat reluctant to go. I told him last night I would buy dinner tonight if we went to "Bonefish" as a celebratory dinner out. Like I mentioned before, I have all of my applications in, I found out this week that I've been promoted and am getting a bonus, plus I also found out this week that I "passed" the first phase of one of my applications and am moving into the next phase (this particular school cuts 1/2 of their applicants during the first phase) which is an interview!! So lots to celebrate.

We've got several errands to run this weekend. Some fun stuff, like looking for Christmas decorations (we're going to get a real tree!!). Hopefully, we can go ice skating. We went last weekend on a whim (this was on Sunday after I was feeling much better) and had so much fun!! I want to go again...S is less enthusiastic but I bet I can talk him into it! :)

Well, I suppose I should wrap this post up. It's getting looooong. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments: