Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Workin' From Home

Well, as the title says, I'm working from home today. I have an interview with one business school this evening and just decided to stay home today so I could prepare for my interview. (Plus I didn't want to wear or carry my suit to work on the subway...what a hassle.)

I would have had a great food day yesterday if I hadn't started drinking!! S and I left work early to catch the Okla State basketball game against LSU on TV and we stopped at the grocery store so he could get some beer and what do I get? Some very sugary Smirnoff beverages. And what do I do over the course of the evening? Drink all 6!!! For the rest of my New Year Challenge, no drinking on the weekdays. (Well, except for Thanksgiving.) My eating is so much better when I don't consume alcohol. And yesterday I would have been within my calories and everything if it weren't for the 6 drinks I had. And, more "big picture" wise, it's better for my overall health to not have 6 drinks in one day. I did make it to the gym yesterday and spent 60 minutes on the elliptical! Go me! I love the feeling when I'm done working out, it's such a sense of accomplishment and feeling that I can do anything in the world!

I'm trying to stay on track with eating over the next few days. It will be hard. As I mentioned yesterday, last year at this time is when my grandpa really took a turn for the worse. I was super close to my grandpa (my sister and I lived with my grandparents for most of my childhood so my grandpa was really my dad in a lot of ways) and this is the first holiday season without him. Eating crappy food doesn't make me feel better emotionally, so I'm going to try to remember that. What makes me feel better is thinking about how he's not in pain anymore, how great his life was, and how much he meant to me.

S and I are staying here for Thanksgiving. Since Thanksgiving was going to be such an emotional holiday for me, I honestly did NOT want to spend it with my family. I'm one of those people who deal with emotions on my own and being around other emotional people actually makes me "shut down" emotionally and that's bad for me. So S and I decided we would just stay here and do Thanksgiving the way we want to do it. The plan is to get up and have breakfast and then a cheese/cracker type snack around 11 and then have our Thanksgiving meal around 3 or so (or whenever we get hungry). We purchased a honeybaked ham and I'm going to fix green bean casserole, his grandma's mashed potatoes, and Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Tarts (cover of November's Cooking Light). The recipe for the tart is for a big tart but I'm making 4 small ones...enough for us to have one with our meal with an extra for later. We don't need an entire 9" pie! I'm also making a fall salad with spinach, pecans, and dried cranberries. That should be plenty of food for just the two of us. We're going to go get our tree this weekend as well and there's some good football on! Oklahoma State plays our rivals, the OU (sucky) Sooners. It should be a good weekend.

Well, I should get started on a few things around the apartment. Tomorrow is my first weigh-in on my New Year Challenge. I'll eat light the rest of the day but I'm a little worried. I'll see how the first weigh-in goes but I might cut my daily calories down a bit...1800 seems like too much. Enough rambling (and procrastination)! Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments: