Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Well Deserved Day of Rest

Whew...I am exhausted. I forget how much I enjoy getting to bed early and getting a full night of sleep until I have two nights in a row where I don't get to bed until 11 or later. Then I remember how much I love my sleep!!

Well, yesterday was one of those Mondays where I felt like I was barely keeping ahead and didn't get anything accomplished. I was put on two more projects yesterday. The commissioners of my agency are voting on a case today and depending on how the vote goes, our entire division may be put the case and it would have some very tight deadlines. Seriously, this is the busiest I've ever been at my job and I've been here for almost three years. I have 4 projects going on right now so trying to split up my day among them is difficult. Add people popping in to check on "their" project or wanting to chat about "their" project and all I did yesterday was go back and forth between projects without really getting anything done. :( I hate that. I started something yesterday at 8 am and I didn't finish it until almost 5 pm because of all these little interruptions. I want to tell people when they're checking on a project, "If you'll leave me alone and actually let me work on something without interrupting me, I'll have your project to you 15 times faster." But I can't really say anything.

Anyways, enough about work. I went for my run yesterday and did 5.5 miles. My muscles were so tired though, I only ran 3/4 and walked the rest. Last night's softball game went well. We didn't win but we only lost by a couple of runs, so much better than I was expecting. But I got hit with a hard, fast softball. Luckily, it hit my calf muscle (pretty close to my shin) but today it's all bruised and very sore. I did ice it last night for about 15 minutes but it's still pretty sore today. So I made an executive decision today and I'm going to take a rest from running. I'll probably go for a walk just to keep the blood flowing but I'm not going to change into my running stuff. I'll just put on my sneakers. (If I change into my running shorts, bra, etc. then I'll run...I'll say "Oh, I'm only going to walk" but once I get started I'll change my mind and decide to run but if I don't change into my clothes, I won't run because I don't want my boobies flopping all over.) I do need a rest/lighter day today. With practice on Sunday, my lunch time run yesterday, and the game last night, I've had 3 workouts within 24 hours and I haven't had my usual amount of sleep...my muscles just need a break. I'm going on and on about this because I'm trying to tell myself that it's okay if I don't run today. Yes, the weather is nice but I can still enjoy it on my walk...I don't have to be running. Besides the nice fist sized black and blue knot on my calf muscle is a great sign that I need to take it easy on my legs today. Okay, I think I've talked myself into it...

On a bit of digression here, I'm super frustrated that the weather is finally warm enough to wear a skirt to work without hose and I have a massive bruise on my lower leg that a skirt won't cover up. Yep, I'm wearing pants today.

Alright, I promise to comment today. With yesterday's madness, I didn't get to but today I will!! Have a great Tuesday everyone!

6 comments:

Martalu said...

Way to go SOFTBALL TEAM! Sounds like you guys pulled it together. You will for sure start winning some games!

Yes, rest. Listen to your body and your common sense. That does suck about your bruise! I'm wearing a skirt today. Too bad I haven't shaved my legs in a week. Haha!

Christina said...

you are killing it with workouts, 3 workouts in the last 24 hours wowza! I am super impressed, makes me think my one little workout is peanuts compared to what you have been doing :)

Amy said...

its ok not to run today princess. Give your little muscles a rest! :)

Unknown said...

My gosh, you're a freakin' machine! I wish I could run 5 miles! (I can do 4.25 at most) The last time I tried to run 5 miles I really hurt myself, but managed to do 4.75.

And OUCH -- I can't imagine what it feels like to get hit by a softball!

SeaBreeze said...

You went for a 5.5 mile run and then went to softball. Way to go. I can imagine that your hamstrings are aching today. I "ran the bases" for theoretical drills on Saturday night for over 40 minutes because my cardio was "better than most" and I just grit my teeth and get through it.

I'm pretty sure my softball team is more beauty than brawn, which means less wins, but a lot of hilarious girly-girl antics.

What about doing some cross-training today or 20 minutes of at home yoga? I love both of those activities on my "run-free" days.

Grumpy Chair said...

Ouch on the bruise.

I hope you get all your project completed with little interuption today.