Thursday, March 27, 2008

Test Day Thursday

Cannot wait until my body composition test today at 1 pm! For the best results, I'm not supposed to eat 4 hours before and if I do eat it needs to be light so I made a gigantic smoothie that I've been sipping on all morning long. Since my appointment is at 1 pm, I won't get to do my usual run/walk at lunch but I'm going to try to do a short walk after eating my lunch...it's raining right now though so I might not get to. :(

Last night I made Jerk Pork Burgers with Green Apple Slaw from "Every Day with Rachael Ray" magazine. They were so yummy!! I'm posting the recipe below, with my modifications/notes in green. You definitely need to try this recipe...it's sweet, it's spicy, it's yummy!!

2 granny smith apples, peeled, grated and patted dry, I chopped mine very finely
Grated peel of 1 lemon plus 1 1/2 tablespoons juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped chives, I used a little less since mine were dried chives
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, used Mrs. Butterworth's syrup--not authentic but it's what I had
2 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning, such as McCormick
1 1/2 pounds ground pork, used ground turkey, you could use any ground meat
8 slices applewood smoked bacon, omitted
4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced, used colby jack since it's what we had
4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted, served mine "naked"--no bun
1. In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the lemon peel and juice. Add the mayonnaise, chives, 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/2 tablespoon jerk seasoning; stir to combine; refrigerate. This sounds like such an odd mixture but it is good! Trust me!
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 1/2 tablespoons jerk seasoning. Add the ground pork and combine. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties, pressing your thumb in the center of each to prevent it from bulging.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving the skillet with the drippings. (Again I didn't use any bacon so I completely omitted this part of the recipe.) Cover the bacon with foil to keep warm. Heat the bacon drippings over mediumhigh heat until sizzling. Add the pork patties and cook for 4 minutes; flip, lower the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes more. Lower the heat to low and top each patty with a quarter of the cheese; cover the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted and the patties are cooked through, about 2 minutes more. You definitely don't have to put the cheese on, the taste was pretty minimal and the star of the recipe is the slaw anyways.
4. Place a pork patty on each toasted roll bottom; top with 2 bacon slices, a quarter of the apple slaw and a roll top.

No nutrition information provided but I estimated my one patty with 1 slice of cheese and one serving of apple slaw at 450 calories.

Today's Menu:
Breakfast and Midmorning Snack: Huge smoothie made with 1 cup skim milk, 1 banana, 2 tbsp ground flax, 6 oz. vanilla yogurt, and about 3 cups of strawberries, blueberries, mango, and pineapple
640 calories, 2 servings dairy, 1/2 serving carbs, 7 servings fruit!!!
Lunch: cashew butter and jelly sandwich, bag of veggies (carrots, green pepper, and grape tomatoes)
450 calories, 1 serving protein, 2 servings veggies, 2 and 1/2 servings carbs
Afternoon Snack: 2 Starbucks espresso truffles
125 calories, 1 serving carbs
Dinner: Italian Sausage, Caramelized Onions, and Bitter Greens Risotto (from last month's Cooking Light), Salad, English Peas, Glass of wine
600 calories, 1/2 serving protein, 3 servings carbs, 4 servings veggies
Activity: Maybe a 3 mile walk at lunch? Depends on the weather.

No comments: