Tuesday, December 18, 2007

One Day Away...

Tomorrow I find out about my 2nd choice for grad school. I'm trying to remain calm about it but inside I'm a nervous wreck! Yesterday it was so hard to sit through the day without anything to do at work. Today I brought my laptop from home and plan on spending part of the day playing games or something to keep myself occupied. Work will continue to be slow until after Christmas and most of my superiors are already gone for Christmas vacations.

I'm working on my goals for next year so I'll probably have a post about that tomorrow or even later today. I like to have goals for all areas of my life. And I think that this year I'll have goals for the first 6 months of the year and then set new goals when I go to school in the fall.

On the weight loss/workout front, things are going well. Made it to the gym yesterday and will do the same today. I don't know if I've ever talked about this but working out for me is so much more than the physical benefits I get from it, it's such an emotional and mental medicine for me.
I have had episodes of very deep, dark depression but working out keeps me from going into those episodes. I used to take a couple of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications but stopped (with my doctor's permission, of course) and started working out. I was thinking about this yesterday when I was at the gym and how much happier I am when I'm getting regular exercise. Activity is my medicine now and it's the one I prefer. Just like regular pills, if I go a couple of days without exercise, my body feels out of whack and I feel out of control. What's even more powerful for me is that my moods are even better when I choose activity as my medicine than the way my moods are when I chose pills as my medicine. Anyways, just some thoughts I had yesterday at the gym.

Alright, off to keep my mind occupied! Later gators!

2 comments:

Jen said...

oh wow!! I am going to keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

You are lucky that it's slow at work!!! my desk is completely buried and it makes me sad!!! I have to come in for a bit over the holidays just to catch up :( OH well, I don't get paid for my time off, so it's probably best!!!

That is great that exercise is helping you, I have heard of that for a lot of people, and honestly, what better way???

Sara said...

I'm so glad that exercise can substitue meds! Doesn't it feel great finding a natural alternative!!!

fingers crossed for one more day - eek!!!